The TV home of the Mets apologized Sunday after it “made light of the harassment” Mets owner Steve Cohen said his family has faced because of the stock-trading war.
SNY tweeted an image that poked fun at Cohen deactivating his Twitter account, which the 64-year-old hedge fund magnate said he did after receiving “personal threats.”
“We apologize for the error in judgement,” said SNY, which is still owned by the Wilpon family as it was not part of Cohen’s $2.4 billion purchase of the team in September.
Last week, small investors mobilized online to inflict massive losses on short-selling hedge funds.
Cohen’s Point72 Asset Management became entangled in the market turmoil when it invested $750 million into Melvin Capital, which was hit hard by the short-squeeze.
The online investors later claimed, without evidence, that Cohen and other investment groups had pushed the investment platform Robinhood to enact restrictions on GameStop trades, to help offset losses.
“I’ve really enjoyed the back and forth with Mets fans on Twitter which was unfortunately overtaken this week by misinformation unrelated to the Mets that led to our family getting personal threats,” Cohen said in a statement after deactivating his account Friday night.
“So I’m going to take a break for now. We have other ways to listen to your suggestions and remain committed to doing that. I love our team, this community, and our fans, who are the best in baseball. Bottom line is that this week’s events in no way affect our resources and drive to put a championship team on the field.”
This content was originally published here.